Tuesday, March 4, 2014

ed2go Online Classes: Great Value and Content


Update 1-28-2017:

In October 2016 I reported in an update that Ed2Go fees had increased to $149. This represented a doubling of pricing. Since then, I've discovered some pricing tips while signing up for a class on stock analysis.
  • The day prior to class starting, my class went on sale through Ed2Go for $104.30. I was thrilled with the savings.
  • Some classes are still offered for $70. Apparently, pricing depends on subject matter.
  • Later, I found the stock analysis Ed2Go class listed under my local community college's continuing education portal for $70.
  • The same class was listed under another local community college portal for $149.
I conclude that the more expensive Ed2Go courses can still be found for $70 under some community college programs. Check around!

If you have found low-cost online courses to recommend, please leave a comment below.


ed2go ROCKS - HERE'S WHY::
  1. Inexpensive
  2. Good Course Content
  3. No high pressure assignments

I recently finished my second ed2go class, Introduction to Javascript.  These classes are a bargain at $70. The course content is very organized and thorough. The administrative details are handled through your local community college. For my first class, Six Sigma: Total Quality Applications, I accidentally signed up for a similarly titled course. The staff at my local community college were quick and efficient at correcting my mistake.

Once the course starts, you'll get a new lesson every Wednesday and Friday. The lesson is available in a text format which I saved to my computer and iPad for easy access. A 5-question quiz serves as a self-check at the end of the lesson. This grade does not count. I copied and pasted the corrected quizzes to a word document for later study. 

Each lesson has an assignment which also is not graded, but its completion obviously enhances the lesson.  Hyperlinks are provided to supplementary material. There's a class discussion area for each lesson, and I've found the instructors to be very prompt in responding to posted questions.



Each lesson includes:
  • reading material
  • very short quiz
  • assignment
  • optional discussion board

The classes run 6 weeks with an additional 2 weeks (if needed) to finish and take the final exam. An 80% minimum exam grade earns the right to print a certificate of completion. There is no college credit for the courses, but you do earn continuing education units.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your professional comments.