Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Finding a web host

I blogged earlier in the year about trying out a free web hosting service. If you followed those blogs, you are aware that the site was down more than it was up. Taking into account the time spent putting together a website, setting up the server account, and loading the website to the web host server, I concluded that even a free web host was not worth the trouble if the site was down extensively.

Web hosting can be obtained for around $5 a month, and there are many reliable choices. I launched my first commercial website in September, and have found IMH to be a good web host. As with many host companies, their website provides tutorials and instructional materials for website management. They also have customer service tools like a chat line and faq pages that are helpful.

I chose my host company by geographic location and pricing. Decide what aspects of a web host are most important to you, and chose your host accordingly.  Recommendations from friends can also help in the decision making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your professional comments.