Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Self-publishing with Amazon: KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing)



After publishing to CreateSpace, an option is offered to publish to Kindle. You enter the KDP platform and your CreateSpace book is converted to an e-book. This is a "backdoor" into Kindle publishing. Then you are allowed to preview the Kindle version. 

In my situation, the conversion process from my CreateSpace book was not successful. Most of the photographs were missing.  I had hoped for better separation of chapters as with the print book. That didn't happen.

I downloaded the HTML, and decided it was too complicated for my HTML skills. I took the final book file (the word .doc) and converted it to .pdf. This is easily done with Microsoft word by using the "Save as" command. Click "save as" and scroll down to the .pdf format to select it.

Uploading this .pdf corrected the missing images. The chapter layout was not perfection, but it was usable.

If I had to do it over again, I would upload a .pdf file to CreateSpace for a print and e-book process. For an e-book alone, I would try writing the HTML myself and upload that.

N. J. NotJohn has a good blog about using HTML for Kindle publishing. I would try his suggestions.

Here's Amazon's 2 minute promotional video on Kindle Direct Publishing.







My previous post on the CreateSpace experience is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your professional comments.